Friday, March 18, 2011

He's 30.

The year my brother turned 29, I knew I wanted to be the one to throw a thirtieth birthday party for him. I knew it didn't have to necessarily wow aesthetically, I actually cared more that it wowed in the "I feel loved" department.

I contacted people from past and present who I knew would want to show Josh they love him by their presence at the shindig. We had a dear "cousin" Scottie fly from Georgia to join us for the festivities. A mentor of Josh's growing up came with his wife. Josh's college roommate made the trek from Seattle with his pregnant wife to show birthday love. Lots of his friends from his high school theater days came out to celebrate too. Our "other parents" came and represented the full Roberts/Zdunek clan.

We rented the Shakabrah Coffee House and Eatery, owned by some friends of ours and elders of our church body, SOMA. It was a perfect locale with a small stage, lights and a great selection of beer, wine, and espresso along with a great menu.

If I were to sum up the evening in bullet points, it would be as follows... Bud Light. Red wine. Mom's epic roast and toast. Musical tribute. (see video and lyrics). Bentley's sparkly birthday shoes. 2 1/2 year old rendition of Sweet Caroline. Favorite Things. Joshua trivia. Old friends and new.

Birthday love.

Surprise!



the sparkly shoes




After-Party at the Crown Bar on 6th Ave.

For more photos from the evening click here.

1 comment:

Aunt Pammy said...

That was such a blast! You were so creative in all you and Drew did, Linds, and I'll never forget watching you set up the room, all the while wearing a sleeping Emery like a necklace.
Happy 30th B-day Unka Josh! Love, Aunt Pammy