Friday, April 29, 2011

our own pink ABCs

After eyeing this poster month after month in the Land of Nod catalog, I finally decided to just make one myself. Instead of spending $99 plus shipping to get one, I went about making my own. Not only was I then able to choose my own font, color and frame, but it was staggeringly cheaper doing it myself. I actually found the frame almost two years ago. I bought it on some super sale at Michael's at the time, and since it was comprised of "letterpress letters", I couldn't resist. I put four coats of white spray paint on it, and voila! It was the perfect frame for this project.

I considered silkscreening it using our screen at home, but decided to take the much easier route of simply making it in InDesign and printing it off our own computer. (If you don't have a tabloid printer, it costs less than $2 to print a color tabloid-size poster at Fedex Office. And if you don't have InDesign, you could also just type it into a Word document.)

And yes, it is pink. A deep coral color, to be exact. I have gone off the deep end with pink since having yet another girl. It's completely taken over my design judgment. But Bentley loves inviting friends into her "pink room," so that's all that matters now.

2 comments:

Aaaahntie said...

I love the pink room and alphabet poster!...cracked me up when you said you went off the deep end with pink...I remember how much you disliked it when you were younger. All that graphic design training really is paying off (I wish I had your talent!)

samandpeteVDP said...

I love this! So stinkin' cute. Love that you are embracing the pink. Drew's a goner. ;)