Monday, March 15, 2010

tea bag conversations

Without my typical daily cup of big train chai tea (due to our lack of funds right now for such a delicacy), I am currently enjoying a plethora of new tastes via the variety of herbal chai teas from my father-in-law. This feat sparked conversation between my hubby and me based on the little "sayings" individually printed on each tea bag label.

As I wait for my daily tea to steep, I now read those tea bags with God's worldview in mind. It made me want to rewrite them in a way that would reflect what God would want me to meditate on as my tea steeps.

tea bag one


"Serve humanity so that people feel we are kind to them."
My re-write: "Serve humanity so that they might know I sent you."

"Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16

tea bag two


"Uplift everybody and uplift yourself"
My rewrite: "Uplift Me, so that I might be glorified."

My heart has desired so much lately to truly glorify God in all that I do. Just recently, my prayers are more praises than anything. All that is given to Drew and me, from our home to Bentley to even being financially taken care of month after month is all from God. All I can do is point to Him. Like the man that received his sight, or the man that was able to pick up his mat and walk, all they could do in response was give glory to God.

"...he said to the man who was paralyzed—"I say to you, rise, pick up your bed and go home. And immediately he rose up before them and picked up what he had been lying on and went home, glorifying God." Luke 5:24-25

"And Jesus stopped and commanded him to be brought to him. And when he came near, he asked him, "What do you want me to do for you?" He said, "Lord, let me recover my sight." And Jesus said to him, "Recover your sight; your faith has made you well." And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him, glorifying God. And all the people, when they saw it, gave praise to God." Luke 18:40-43

Yet I know too that God does call us to encourage or perhaps "uplift" each other. All throughout the book of Acts, God calls his people to encourage each other in His work. Not encouraging each other in the way that it would lead toward pride, but building each other up that we might be encouraged that God is with us in His work.

In addition in so many of Paul's letters to the Corinthians, Ephesians, Phillippians, etc., he usually begins with words of encouragement to the people.

"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." Hebrews 10:23-25

I suppose the tea label could also be written, "Uplift each other so that you all might be encouraged is His work."

tea bag three


"To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach."
Well said, tea bag.

7 comments:

Drew Webster said...

"Uplift everybody and uplift yourself" - Humble yourself and you will be exalted.

-The Drew Translation

lindsaybrooke said...

well said honey.

samandpeteVDP said...

I love this, I really do! So cool, I love your thoughts and translations. I promise I was gonna comment on that anyway, but then on tea bag #3, I noticed the artwork in the background!!!! Did you get that type sign??? Is it wooden? I am obsessing over it! Alos, love the new blog redesign. fun fun! miss you lady!

lindsaybrooke said...

yes! the type sign, I thought for sure if anyone would comment on that it would be you! ha ha ha. no joke. I love that you are a font nerd like me. My friend Sondra got it for me on Etsy.com. I believe there were only two. I just searched it for you but it looks like they both sold. it is pretty sweet and inspiring!

lauren carroll said...

i like the new redesign too! also...from your word nerd friend "seep" is really cute, but tea usually "steeps."

kathy said...

Good stuff. And I love that the wood font thingy is in the picture- I've been waiting for forever to ask you about it! Sondra told me she was getting it for you.

lindsaybrooke said...

bahahaha lauren! oh my goodness, how hilarious, I changed this immediately :)