Monday, February 23, 2009

Valentines Day Webster Style

Well, first of all, this was Valentines Day on a budget. So much so, that Drew and I got excited when we remembered that his parents got us scratch tickets for Christmas that we had yet to cash in. Our first part of the day entailed us running into the ampm to redeem our $11 (after dropping Bentley off at his parents house). We then headed out to parts of Tacoma that we have always wanted to take photos of. Here are a few...





After that, we wanted to check out a few vintage clothing shops... Urban Xchange and PURE... here is a photo of one we didn't go into. However, we did check out an estate sale in Opera Alley.



Then we drove by the graffiti wall where we had several of our wedding photos taken... though now, it looks quite different... (our sentiments exactly)



I convinced Drew to check out the Conservatory in Wright Park and it just so happened that Dale Chilluly had several installations there. It was gorgeous! A squirrel met us outside and was not shy at all. I think it recognized me from when I used to feed the squirrels peanuts with my dad in Wright Park. Here are several photos.



Looking up at the gazebo ceiling. I made Drew kiss me under it... aww.. how romantic


My grandma Blanche would have LOVED this exhibit full of organic and colorful glass pieces






We were now super hungry and so we used our $11 to get chowder at Duke's Chowder House along Ruston Way. (Well, I got chowder and Drew got a burger :) On the way, we were stopped waiting for the train, but we got to take in the "scenery". It was Drive-by Art. Some of it was lame, but some, not so bad. Unfortunately, this isn't a photo of one of the better ones.



At Dukes, I gave Drew a Valentines Day card, and I made sure not to forget to give him one from Bentley.



The P.S. says "I like being a Daddy's girl"



We then headed out to Border's Books & Music for one of our typical cheap dates; reading and looking at art books that we don't buy. (I highly recommend checking out Banksy ) The best part was when Drew had the guy check the balance on a 7-year-old gift card he had and it turned out there was $25 on it! SWEETNESS! Drew got a music magazine, and I was going to order a chai, but I decided I would get one on another date since we had to head out to get Bentley... We did miss that little munchkin.

4 comments:

samandpeteVDP said...

Hey Lady! Sounds like a good date. i just borrowed an Banksy book from our friends over here. Now, whenever I head to London, I'm on the lookout for some authentic Banksy work :)
My favorite quote of his is: " I had been painting rats for several years, when someone told me, 'Oh I get it, it's an anagram for art, that's funny!' and I had to pretend like I knew that all along. "
hehe :)

kathy said...

Fun date! We need to take lessons from you guys....

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Valentines! Those are the kind of valentines that are special becuase you had to be creative. What really counts is how much love you have for each other.

lindsaybrooke said...

I am so jealous Sam that you get to see original Banksy art and not just in a book - for sure take pics if you run across some Rats! And I remember reading that quote and LOVED it - ha