Wednesday, May 9, 2012

It was not "user error"

I consider myself a baker, not a cook.  So even though I could make a yummy banana bread and soft, melt-in-your-mouth snickerdoodles, I failed at making my most favorite dessert; the chocolate chip cookie.

After 15 years of using the SAME cookie recipe and getting the SAME crappy results (flat crispy cookies - bleh), a friend of mine shared her chocolate chip cookie recipe with me.  Finally, I tried the new recipe.  And I was shocked to see that it was not ME after all these years, but that darned recipe!  

I can now proudly say I have perfected the chocolate chip cookie.  I have made five batches in less than a week and ALL have turned out amazing. My friends, family and neighbors (as well as the little lady in my belly) have benefitted from my chocolate-chip-cookie-baking kick.

Here they are in their wonderful soft, melt-in-your-mouth glory... mmm...

...and yes, I will include the recipe below :)






















The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie
(named by me - recipe from my friend, Nikki Nave)

1 cup butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Mix these ingredients in your mixer, then add...

2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg

Once mixed with the previous ingredients, add slowly...

2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt (if the butter is not already salted)

Once everything is well mixed, add...

2 cups chocolate chips

I fill and level an ice cream scoop to dole out the dough on my cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 mins. 

Makes about  four dozen.

Update January 2013:
• If you double the recipe, only use 3 1/4 cups chocolate chips
• The type of baking sheet you use makes a difference! My Calphalon 14" x 16" "Air Bake" sheets (I think they are called) make the texture perfect.
• I bake my cookies for exactly 10 minutes and then let them cool on the cookie sheet. They don't look done, but when you leave them out on the cookie sheet, they complete the baking process perfectly.

YUMMY!!




7 comments:

Auntie Pam said...

I have had the same problem for 40 years....thanks for solving it for me! XO

hiding gemini said...

The freshness of flour can make a big difference, along with the freshness of baking soda. I thought there was gluten flour or bread flour in the recipe too. Huh. One of these days, I'll have to make some of the other recipes for chocolate chip cookies I'm holding onto.

lindsaybrooke said...

Nikki, it did mention bread or gluten flour. I didn't have any and used the regular flour I had on hand and it STILL was night and day better than any previous choc chip cookies I have ever made! Yum yum yum

Leslie E. Young said...

I can attest to the fact that these are super amazingly delicious! I was just at the Webster domicile yesterday and ate one. YUM. Bake some up today!!

marcalicious said...

i had two of them today and they were SCRUMTicious!!!!!

kathy said...

I just made a batch and I'm drooling just thinking about them coming out of the oven. SO good.

lindsaybrooke said...

Also, I should note that I only bake them for 10 minutes then let them cool on a cookie sheet :)