Wednesday, December 7, 2011

the little princess

About one month ago now, Bentley asked me one Saturday morning to put on my "married dress" as she calls it.  I nearly declined, but thought, "Goodness, why not?  I really don't have anything else to do right now." So I obliged, veil and all.

Her face lit-up and she immediately directed daddy to dance with me.  He swept me around the floor and she directed us again saying, "Daddy kiss mommy like this," as she tilts her head to one side. Drew one-upped her, dipped me and THEN planted a kiss "like this" on me.

I asked Bentley if she wanted to try on my wedding dress.
She said, "It too fit me."
I said, "You think it's too big for you?"
"Yes."
"I bet I can make it work."
"Okay!"

We went into the bedroom and as I stepped out of the puff of creamy raw silk, I picked Bentley up and set her inside, tying her up with the clothes hanger strings.  I told Drew to get the camera ready and I helped walk her out to see Daddy and plant her in front of the mirror.

Drew immediately took pictures and then his eyes welled up.  He sincerely couldn't take it.  He walked into the kitchen and said through a few tears, "I just lost about 20 years in 2 seconds."

Drew came out and Bentley stared at him admiringly and said, "Daddy dance with me?"  Then I nearly lost it as he picked her up, a ball of cream puff fabric and danced around the dining room.

It was a beautiful, spontaneous, precious morning.





She insisted on trying on my ring too.




4 comments:

samandpeteVDP said...

Wow, and now I'm welling up reading about it! Thanks a lot Websters!..... you precious little puddin' cups!

Auntie Pam-E said...

Made me cry too!!! So lovely. XO

Grace said...

How sweet! Your girl is amazing Lindsay (and Drew gets half of the credit) and she will grow up to be a beautiful woman as you are (But, first comes the beautiful young lady years with some attitude. I know this of experience)

kathy said...

Blogger is letting me post comments again!! Yay! I just finally saw these pictures and oh. my. word. Seeing them and reading the story again is making ME lose it. I can only imagine Drew. ha ha What a precious memory captured in words and photos. LOVE it, LOVE you.