Thursday, June 30, 2011

farmer's market peonies

I loved that as Bentley pointed to each flower in the bouquets before us I could confidently tell her the name of each one. Dianthus, also called Sweet William... Peony... Nigella, also called Bachelor Buttons... Calendula. It reminded me of the flower farm in little Jeffersonton, Virginia, where I first learned the names of these. We sold them at DC farmer's markets. Wow, this same time, eight years ago, I was cutting peonies and bundling them, with the neighbor's farm dog, Lady, by my side, a flower tucked in my hair and clipper holster on my jeans with 10 acres of cut flowers around me. Dirt, sun, God, creation. I love thinking about all that God has done to refine me since I took that little 3-month Virginia sabbatical with Him eight years ago.

No comments: