Monday, May 16, 2011

my dirty little secret: I do not like to cook.

Now this poses a problem because I have a husband who is super blessed when I prepare dinner for our family. A little unknown fact is that I am not one of those wives that does this every night. Even when I have a husband who feels so loved by it. Cooking actually gives me anxiety. I will clean and scour our home into the ground, but to prepare a grocery list and cook, takes me a couple hours of emotional preparation. Plus, while I was single, I would have been completely content eating cereal for every meal whereas my husband prefers a much more diverse palette of dining options.

However, I recently realized two ways in which I can get myself to cook and actually enjoy it. One, I love hosting events! I absolutely love having people over with us in our home... and usually this involves a meal, so that means I cook (which I still don't enjoy the actual process of, but can do it with joy as I think about our guests that particular evening). Two, I went with my sister-in-law and friend Kathy to the PLU senior art exhibition a few weeks ago to support one of my former graphic design students who was now graduating college! Anyway, one of the pieces there was by a senior who had interviewed several international students for recipes from their hometowns, cooked, photographed and then complied these recipes and images into a beautifully designed cookbook. It made me think, Would I enjoy cooking if I then photographed the creation? The answer: yes.

So, the last couple of days, I have been photographing my meals. Nothing too fancy, but this is a gal who would be content eating a PB&J sandwich just like her daughter for weeks on end.



I hope that soon what motivates me to cook through my anxious emotions is realizing just how loved Drew feels when I have actually planned dinner... and... a dinner that includes meat. ha.

5 comments:

Auntie Pam said...

Looks delicious and super healthy! I am learning the joy of mozz, basil, and tomatoes myself! Made homemade pizza for ma and pa tonight. XO

kathy said...

Oh, man. That sandwich looks DElicious!

samandpeteVDP said...

ummm, caprese salad with yummy looking bread??? yes please!

Also, is that basil you are growing in a jar?!?!?!? Tell us more!

lindsaybrooke said...

Living basil! Drew bought it at the grocery store. It comes in a bag, youre supposed to just add water as it gets low, we decided to move it to a mason jar. Its pretty sweet. We use it in a ton of stuff! :)

allison said...

"...meat. ha." Loved that part, 'cause I've got the same problem here! :) Looks delicious! Way to go!